Castles & palaces
In the area around Eppan lie numerous castles, palaces and grand residences. To name but a few of them:
- Sigmundskron Castle - MMM Messner Mountain Museum: On porphyritic rock to the south of Bozen lies this extensive castle complex, which is incidentally one of the oldest in South Tyrol. Thanks to its impressive location, it is visible from quite a distance - as befits its beauty.
- Hocheppan Castle: Far above Missian - built upon steep walls of rock - the immense castle complex of Hocheppan rises up proudly into the sky.
- Freudenstein Castle: This castle lies on a gentle hill above St. Michael/Eppan.
- Matschatsch Castle: On the road to Mendel you will pass directly by it. On your right you will see a parking area. From there you can reach this idyllic little castle.
- Boymont Castle ruins: The ruins lie in the middle of the forest above Missian. Unlike the locations of the other castles, Boymont is easy to reach on foot.
- Montiggl lakeside castle: This romantic little house lies on the western shore of the larger Lake Montiggl.
- Tschindlhof House: To the northwest, above St. Michael and in the middle of the enchanting Eppan/Berg area, lies Tschindlhof House.
- Gandegg Castle: In an area known as Pigenò, to the northeast of Gand and below Englar Castle, lies Gandegg Castle perched on a little hill.